Monday, March 15, 2010

Grandma's coming and cabbage soup

Well it is spring break in North Alabama this week and this means my kids do not have preschool. Since I am supposed to work tonight I have asked my 92 year old grandmother to come over tomorrow to help me. I usually go to her house on Wednesdays and do her laundry and run her errands but this time we are going to bring the laundry to my house and she is going to spend the day and help me keep an eye on the girls while I attempt to cat nap on the couch. Then my parents and sister are coming over for dinner. Tomorrow night I am making cabbage soup. It is actually already made :). I diced up all of my ingredients and put them in the crockpot in the refrigerator. When I get home in the morning all I will have to do is plug it up and turn it on low and let it cook until dinner. The other advantage to grandma coming is CORNBREAD! I don't know why but no one makes cornbread like Grandma. Needless to say I am looking forward to tomorrow night. So here is the recipe for cabbage soup:

8 ounces smoke turkey sausage diced into thin half moons
3 potatoes peeled and diced
1 onion diced
2 carrots diced (I actually used up the last 1/2 bag of shredded carrot instead)
1 head of cabbage cut into bite size pieces
1 carton of chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

I place the potatoes, onions, carrots, and smoked sausage in the bottom of the crockpot. Then I top with the cabbage, add the chicken stock, and then add water until it just covers the cabbage. Salt and pepper to taste. (I have also just boiled this soup on the stove... just depends on your time. ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment